With some rudimentary DIY skills you can develop a pigeon coop in a suitable place in her garden, backyard, or even on a balcony.
You are watching: How to build a pigeon loft step by step
Looking because that easy-to-follow detailed step-by-step designs composed by experienced aviary builders?The How To construct An Aviary eBook has whatever you need and more…> View Now
Building her pigeon coop starts by selecting the right place to position your coop. It must be sheltered indigenous rain however exposed come sunlight.
You require to allow enough space for the variety of pigeons friend have/wish come have. The general dominion of ignorance is the 7 foot x 6 foot is the ideal size because that 20 pigeons / 10 reproduction pairs.As an Amazon Associate i earn a small fee native qualifying purchases made through Amazon links. This helps united state run the website – many thanks for your support!The tools you will need is:Tape measureGraph paperPencil4×4 boards2×4 planksPlywoodPlexiglassWire screen/chicken wireOptional – sheet metalSawDrillWire cuttersHammerNailsScrewsShovelRopeHow lot you require of the building materials will count on how huge you want to build the coop.
Step through Step process of structure a Pigeon Coop
1. Measure UpMeasure the area where you’re going come erect the coop. Attract this area to range on a item of graph paper.
2. MaterialsWork out exactly how much of each material you need.The best pieces will be those needed for the surface area the the roof and floor and earlier and sides. If the area is suitable, you might not call for a rear wall. If you are structure the coop external , you should consider whether girlfriend weatherproof the coop through sheet metal or if you’ll simply paint it.Weatherproofing is important due to the fact that a wet coop have the right to encourage the development of bacteria and mold i m sorry can injury the pigeons.You will need sufficient plywood to build the surface area of the outer and interior walls and also floor and also enough sheet metal to covering the roof and outer walls. And you’ll need enough 2x4s to build the frame. Be sure to stock up on enough screws and also nails.To determine the specific amount:Plywood because that the floor and also roof – multiply the length by the width to gain square feet – girlfriend will need two that this sizePlywood because that the walls – main point the size by the width and then main point by 2 for the side wallsPlywood for the back – multiply length by broad in square feetIf you are going to construct internal nesting boxes (compartments), you likewise need the plywood because that this.The last thing to work-related out is the number and lengths of 2x4s and also 4x4s you need. You will do it need sufficient for the frames and legs. If the coop is large, girlfriend should take into consideration having 2x4s to strengthen the framework at that midway point.
3. Structure & FloorYou can now start to build. First the frame and also the floor.Dig 4 holes because that the corner posts. They need to be 1 foot deep. Cut 12 inch from 2 of her 4x4s. Put the 2 shortened 4×4 in every of the front holes and also fill in, patting in the dust firmly around the board. Repeat with much longer 4×4 for the ago two holes.On each corner 4×4, measure up 12 inches native the ground and also make a mark. Now fix a 2×4 come the former of the 4×4 in ~ the mark you made. Repeat for each side.Now measure up 6 feet up from the bottom and also nail another 2×4 in place. Cutting 2×4 boards to the correct measurements, pond them in ar to do the frame for your floor. Now screw or nail measured and also cut plywood sheets to develop the floor.
4. Construct The WallsNow the walls.First the supports. From among the edge 4x4s, measure 12 inches. Nail/screw a 2×4 come the 2×4 nailed in ~ the peak of the corner board and also to the floor. Repeat this, every 12 inches roughly the coop.To create the walls, solve plywood come the 4×4 corners and 2x4s, making sure the plywood boards are not taller than the shortest 4x4s forming the corners.Now reduced out a door on the former and home window measuring a square foot on both sides.
5. Download The RoofOn to the roof. Nail/screw 4 2x4s with each other to develop a framework slightly larger than the coop.Fasten plywood to cover the frame. If you intend to weatherproof your coop v sheet metal, connect it to the roof piece now., then set aside.
6. Attach The cable ScreensTackle the home window spaces. Affix wire display to each window – staples are finest for this. The wire enables for ventilation.Cover the rest of the coop through sheet metal making an opening for the home window and door.Cut sheets the Plexiglas slightly bigger than the home window holes. These space to do the home window panes which can be opened and also closed as desired.Drill a hole in each pane in the bottom center and also top center. Hammer in a long nail just over the facility of the home window hole. Location the Plexiglas pane ~ above the nail. Now, measure the distance in between the two holes in the Plexiglas pane and measure and mark that street directly above the an initial nail. Hammer in a lengthy nail at that point. With both nails in place you should be able to move the pane top top its axis come the top nail come “open” the window. Repeat because that the second window.You can now certain the roof in place. Include wire display to the triangular gaps that appear on both sides of the coop.
7. Right Roosting & Nesting SpotsYou have the right to now create roosting and nesting spaces. You can develop shelves for the birds to roost on through nailing 2x4s in the coop and create nesting spaces through strips of plywood which need to be the a depth much less than the depth that the coop.
8. The DoorThe last item is the door. Note out places for hinges ~ above both that one edge of the door frame and a piece of plywood cut to the door room size. Do a feet in the door panel before screwing the hinges right into place.Hammer a nail in a perfect place and thread some rope with the hole in the door. This have the right to then it is in tied to the pond to store the door open as soon as required.
See more: Borderlands 3 Cathedral Of The Twin Gods Challenges, Crew Challenges