The company when sustained reasonable gun control legislations. Now it"s a lobby group for paranoid extremists
This article originally appeared on AlterNet.
You are watching: Ronald reagan gun quote
1. “I have actually never thought in the basic exercise of transporting tools,” said NRA President Karl T. Frederick, a 1920 Olympic gold-medal winner for marksmanship that came to be a lawyer, praising state gun control legislations in Congress. He testified before the 1938 federal gun manage law passed. “I perform not believe in the general promiscuous toting of weapons. I think it need to be sharply limited and only under licenses.”
2. “We perform think that any kind of sane American, that calls himself an Amerihave the right to, ca things to placing right into this bill the instrument which eliminated the president of the USA,” NRA Executive Vice-President Franklin Orth told Congress, soon after Lee Harvey Oswald shot and also eliminated President John F. Kennedy with an Italian military surplus rifle Oswald bought from a mail-order ad in the NRA’sAmerideserve to Rifleman magazine.
3. “There’s no factor why on the street today a citizen must be transferring loaded tools,” shelp The golden state Gov. Ronald Reagan in May 1967, after 2 dozen Babsence Panther Party members walked right into the California Statehouse transporting rifles to protest a gun-regulate bill. Reagan said firearms were “a ridiculous way to resolve difficulties that need to be resolved among civilization of good will certainly.”
4. “You carry out know that I am a member of the NRA and also my place on the best to bear arms is well known,” Reagan sassist, speaking out in support of the 1994 Brady bill to develop new background checks and also a waiting duration for gun buyers. “But I want you to know somepoint else, and also I am going to say it in clear, unmistakable language: I support the Brady Bill and also I urge Congress to enact it without even more delay.”
5. “To ‘save and bear arms’ for hunting now is basically a recreational activity and also not an imperative of survival, as it was 200 years ago; ‘Saturday night specials’
6. The 2nd Amendment “has actually been the topic of among the biggest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by one-of-a-kind interest groups that I have ever before seen in my life time,” Burger told PBS’ News Hour in late 1991, referring to the NRA’s insurance claim that the U.S. Constitution included an individual right to very own firearms.
7. “These people are crazy,” sassist Alan Gura, referring to NRA critics that sassist he’d ceded as well a lot to gun control debates when he properly said before the U.S. Supreme Court in March 2008 to overrevolve the District of Columbia’s handgun ban and create a Second Amendment best to a handgun at residence for self-defense. “I might have, if I wanted to, stood before the Court and also shelp, ‘Yes,
Editor’s note: These quotes were cited or referred to in UCLA legislation professor Adam Winkler’s 2011 book,Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America.
See more: C A Man Starts Walking North At 4 Ft/S From A Point P, Calculus Rate Of Change Problem
Steven Rosenfeld is the editor and also chief correspondent ofVoting Booth, aprojectof the Independent Media Institute. He has reported for National Public Radio, Marketplace, and Christian Science Monitor Radio, and a broad variety of progressive publications consisting of neurosoup.org, AlterNet, the Amerihave the right to Prospect, and many kind of others.